Saturday, June 20, 2009

Reminisce

As I progress further into the future, my childhood dissolves just as rapidly. This week has been a busy one, going down a list of car repairs, meeting up with old friends, but mainly working as a designer and consultant for my good friend and former high school tennis coach Erik at Foxit PDF, where he was the head of marketing.

I decided to take Wednesday off and treated myself to a quick run back to the City. It just so happened to be Wachovia Wednesday for the California Academy of Science at Golden Gate Park when admission is free. This has been my favorite museum since my first visit in the 1st grade. I haven't been able to go since their remodeling. As expected, parking was a long and unpleasant ordeal. When I got out of the car, I happened to walk right into the end of the entry line. The bad part was that the museum was nowhere in sight. The wait ended up being 2 and a half hours, but that's what I get for being cheap. I had hoped to line up next to some fine lady but instead landed a trio of baby mamas and their strollers. The line was actually twice as long as i had imagined it when the building came into view. I felt fortunate that I hadn't seen how far away I was from the front. Sometimes its good not to know your distance from the top, in anything you do. You tend to do better. At the front, there were still people arriving and realizing that there was a line. I couldn't help but think, "You ain't seeing sh*t my friend". Spending leisure time alone like his also lets you notice other people more. People are so interesting.



The main exhibition was a four story sphere enclosed around an artificial rain forest. If i was
Citizen Kane, this would definitely be in my backyard.



Simulating the rain forest included a replication of the humidity. I felt like I was back in Taiwan again. There was a walkway that spiraled to the top allowing you to see every layer of the rain forest.



Then you took an elevator down below the pond into the aquarium. Question, are their laws against having penguins as pets, because I would give my third testicle to have one.



Before heading back home I stopped by North Beach to pay a quick visit to my favorite store TheDarkSideInitiative. Talked a while with the owner and picked up some new Neighborhood.
Traffic on the way home was unwelcomed. When it let up, my front right tire exploded out of nowhere. The damage was surprisingly ridiculous, but I swapped it with the spare with some extra cover provided by the CHP who arrived shortly after.

No comments: