Monday, November 16, 2009

Butterfly

I realized I didn't talk about my first day or work. I met all the designers, who don't speak english so i have to rely a hundred percent on my own japanese, my japanese dictionary app on my ipod, and hand motions. The dude who sits in front of me is the main designer for Neon Genesis Evangelion, doing posters, dvd covers, packaging, ads, etc. The guy next to me is one of the head designers and designed the layout for Utada's This is the One. I was not impressed with that Cd jacket and now I understand why. Jk. I wont bring it up. I started by working on some postcards promoting A Love Movement and editing and preparing images for web uploads and other uses etc.



After work was a reception party at the Ginza Graphic Gallery for Japanese Desginer Kitagawa Iissei. His company GRAPH runs a very impressive business card service. Aoki, the creative director then treated us to a korean bbq dinenr that totaled over 300USD for 5 of us. Good start.



I think being here and watching things happen is the greatest, especially meetings with Aoki, who makes all the decisions eventually. The other designers are just tools I guess working almost 12 hours a day 6 days a week. Not something I'm that into. But they experience a lot of pressure as they represent one of the most charsimatic firms in the country. They also need to worry about representing Aoki himself. As advanced as Japan is in Design and Innovation, culture still has a strong underlying presence.

No comments: