Sunday, November 8, 2009

Introducing

The second day of my arrival, I met with Nagayoshi Sumida, who is president of the Sankei Shimbum, aka the Fujisankei Communications Group. I used to watch Dragonball on Fuji TV as a kid.That's a big deal. My grandma was his chinese teacher like 30 yrs ago, that's how this came about. He took me to the Graphic design company that he found for me to intern at in the Chuo-ku district. There I met Katsunori Aoki, which is now another highlight of my young design career. Major awards won: Japan Graphic Designers Association ( JAGDA )New Talent Award, Japan Magazine Advertising Grand Prize, Tokyo Typodirectors Club award, Transportation Advertising Gold Prize, Tokyo Art Directors Club Prize, Tokyo Typodirectors Club Members' Prize. Also judged and lectured at a number of international design events. Aoki is the Founder and Creative Director of Butterfly Stroke Inc. They are a graphic design firm who have worked with clients such as, Nike, Sony, Honda, Coca-Cola, Benneton, Kirin, Suntory, Docomo, Fields Mobile, Yomiuri Giants, as well as graphics and album covers for Japan's R&B queen Utada Hikaru. That is also a big deal. BTF also has their own line of media, and toy products, such as kami-robo and copets.






Afterwards was dinner with my family and the Sumida family on the top floor of Tokyo's press building. I honestly can't comprehend just how many oppurtunities I've been blessed with here in Tokyo. I couldn't have been able to find a better start than interning here under one of the world's most charismatic creative directors in one of the capitals of the world. I can't help but think I'm pointed in the right direction. Thanks God.

No comments: