Monday, November 9, 2009

Red Flag

At the end of the week was our plane ride to Shanghai which was quite dreaded. My arrival was surprisingly different from when I first arrived 7 years ago. The contrast from Japan was very apparent in everything from service, cleanliness, and mannerisms. One thing I do like about China though is that you could walk down one road and feel like you are 10 years ahead of everyone and turn into an alley that takes you back to 1978. Shanghai is now in the midst of heavy construction for the World Expo next year, that should do well following the success of the Olympics in Beijing last year. Patriotism is also high following the 60th anniversary. I think these are good oppurtunities for the country to clean up its act for the sake of international appeal. Better late than never. Blocking blogger and youtube, however, does not help much at all.





Honestly, China has much creative potential if everybody just lightened up a bit. Rather than dwelling on how great your country was in the past, one should think about the future. I understand that this is what they've been doing, and they've come a long way. But people are still part of an oppressed culture who as a result are left with the mindset that its ok to lie cheat and steal. The world does not need pirated goods, and the world does not need toys with lead in them. I'm not sure I was ever proud to be of Chinese descent. I don't identify with much of China's sensibilities at all. However, I do feel the need to contribute somehow in its development. Specifically in missions. China may be extremely young with regards to globalization and capitalism and it shows.


No comments: