Monday, November 16, 2009

Murakami

Today at work I took the first trip to the 9th floor of the building where all our accounting, management etc is taken care of. This place just literally had art lying around on the floor. Here is a silver foiled original Takashi Murakami print. This could buy me a motorcycle.



Another Murakami is the writer Haruki Murakami who's avant-garde novels and short story collections have been thankfully all translated into English. I have read 6 of his novels now the most recent one being Sputnik Sweetheart. All have reoccuring themes such as the presence of music, cats, disappearances, relationships with older women, greek islands, etc. I felt that I identified a little more with the main character of Sputnik Sweetheart. Some parts were just spot on. For example, one chapter began with the main character describing his day that involved picking up a few books at the Kinokuniya in Shinjuku and then taking the Chuo-sen back to his places at kunitachi. I was friggin reading this book at the Kinokuniya in Shinjuku and I take the Chuo-sen back home, not to Kunitachi, but my friend Rika lives there. I can't help but feel somewhat happy when events coincide like that. Books like that give special meaning to the places you visit.

No comments: